The area of the environment would be the area surrounding the university library.
it would include about 3-4 buildings made of bricks, and with windows.
The library would be partly made of glass.
The beginning models I tried making of the road and pavement included lofting and merging curves, it proved to be inefficient and inflexible. I wanted the road itself to be slightly curved in preparation for the brick but that became less important as the development went on. At his stage I just wanted a decent looking road plan blocked out.
This ended up being a foundation for the rest of the environment and assembly began here.
I Made another cube for the brick fence, I extruded the inside of it for a place to put the grass grounds. In the meantime I tried some texturing on the pavement and road
I experimented with repeating the tiles and what the whole scene would looked like with it stretched or crowded close together.
While blocking out the buildings, I realised that Most of them would not be visible in my views and decided to remove them from the scene leaving just the library inspired building and the grassy area behind it and making them the main focus.
After the main attraction of the grass mound was blocked out I moved on to the library building model.
Part of it is curved and part straight.
I made this by using two polygon blocks and smoothing one of them.
at this stage I wanted to add some glowing lights from the ground around the library. I made small polygon pipes and textured it with the white brick texture.
I added a sphere and changed it’s property to make it glow.
I then copied the lights around the building.
I also wanted to put some trees around the building and made brick pipes to enclose them when they are ready.
I textured the building using a mixture of the wall texture and the white brick texture to make it look layered and more interesting.
For the glass windows I used a sketch of a simple view inside the library with the desks and computers. Since later I made the windows glow much of the detail was lost in the process
The sky. I found the sky the hardest to implement, I attempted to use the Maya physical sky option but could not make it work to make night even with using tutorials on the internet.
In the end I created a sphere for the sky, but then the object cast shadows, I managed to get rid of the shadows, and the images did not show on the inside. Eventually I got it to work and then I could start looking at suitable textures. I made an attempt at painting a Van Gogh style night sky with stars and moon but it turned out worng in the painting stage. I decided to go for clouds alone as it would add to the dark atmoshpere of the scene.
I made the texture too small and the tiling was visible in the scene. I Then altered the textures in photoshop by blending some of the pixalated areas
I ended up being quite pleased with the outcome, even though it probably could be better :).