For the lampposts I wanted to go for a modern look. I looked at some images on the internet as well as the street lamps around the university where my model is going to be based off.
In the end I thought to go for a curvy look as it was slightly easier to model and to me it looked more aesthetically pleasing.
I went with painting this texture with short strokes, it turned out a lot smoother than I intended it to however this reminded me more of metal than some other tries I did and It looked good on the post itself. I made the lamppost a phong material so that it has the shininess of metal.
I wanted to have a glow inside the lamp for more realism, but not too bright.