So as I said I made some different assets. In fact, I started making a bush and ended up working on it for quite a while.
I also scanned my own textures this time to be completely free to do whatever I like with them.
When I tried using them, the colours somehow did not seem right so I went on to edit the colour to be similar to the one before.
I continued to make a pattern for the texture because why not!
I still wanted to see how I should deal with the sides of the cardboard as they still are stretched.
However it looked even worse since the flutes completely disappear from this side. I tried researching a bit to see what solutions are out there.
I used this tutorial to learn about blending textures but since my assets are supposed to be for a game the whole thing would work differently.
While looking for a solution, this video was linked in one of the forums:
at about 12:00 minutes the person talks about putting textures on top of each other in the standard Unity shader. This seems to put the textures on the whole model and not a part of it so the individual parts would still have to be blended directly onto the texture.
Painting the different angles onto the texture came up a lot during my research so, I have tried to solve the stretching this way. After thinking it through this way makes the most sense, instead of blending it gradually as that is not really how real life cardboard works.
The problem now is to coordinate the folds along the mesh and make the texture look seamless. First step is to unwrap the sides completely, or maybe separate them?
Unwrapping the uv’s and texturing them with one texture makes this so much neater, not accurate though.
So… I ended up watching videos about how cardboard is made and meanwhile I tried to figure out what to do.
After consulting with Ryan, I felt more and more curious what would happen if I just modelled the whole cardboard inner structure and just cut it up to fit the model. This would mean perfect deformations and no need for complicated texturing. On the other hand the polygon count would go up slightly for each tree. This method would also not be viable for the smaller assets since they will not have as much detail. I could use both texturing and modelling the flutes together, but first I need to decide whether there are any more advantages to adding the extra detail.
After all the viewer might not get that close to the asset anyway.
As a short break I made some mock up scenes that I imagine the assets to be potentially placed in.
When arranging the scene I wanted to somehow combat the symmetrical nature of the assets by placing them at different angles, which I think also makes the scene natural and more interesting.